Homestead closes after threat on social media

Classrooms sit empty at Homestead after administration was informed of a threat posted to social media.

Used with permission from Getty Images

A post on the anonymous social media app "Whatsgoodly" displayed a threatening message and caused Homestead to close today.
A post on the anonymous social media app “Whatsgoodly” displayed a threatening message and caused Homestead to close today.

Homestead students are home today due to a threat posted on the anonymous social media app “Whatsgoodly” yesterday. Similar to “Yik Yak,” which grew in popularity last year, Whatsgoodly is an app that allows users to anonymously post polls and subsequently vote on them. The poll causing the school shutdown contained a threatening message, stating “All HHS students don’t go to school tomorrow trust me?” The final two poll options stated, “You’ve been warned,” followed by a gun and two explosion emojis.

In yesterday’s letter to Homestead parents, Dr. Demond Means, superintendent of schools, said, “The Mequon Police Department is currently investigating the threat. We are working closely with MPD in every way possible. The safety of our students and staff is our top priority, which is why we made the decision to cancel classes.”

The poll was quickly deleted from the app; however, several students who saw the post took a screenshot of it and sent it to Principal Mr. Brett Bowers.

Prior to the threat, the app had already faced backlash from Homestead students, as some individuals use the app’s anonymity to post unkind polls. Sam Brink, senior, posted in Homestead’s Student Section Facebook page Wednesday regarding the app, saying, “It may be just a joke to you, but to some people it’s extremely hurtful and degrading.”

Students voiced their agreement in the comments, as well as on other social media platforms. Sam David, senior student who used Facebook to voice her dissatisfaction with the app, said, “I think it’s just sad that even after Sam Brink on Wednesday made a post to the student section that people still continued to use the app and that it lead to a threat. I hope people stop using it because of the dangers of bullying, and, of course, threats.”