Homestead juniors take the statewide ACT test

Video by Reilly Albert and Emilija Mikalauskaite, intro reporters

When countless hours of studying just do not seem to be enough, and sleeping while eating breakfast in the morning will just have to make do, students know that the American College Testing (ACT) exam is around the corner.

ACT week is likely one of the most stressful, demanding weeks for the juniors at Homestead High School, and other high schools across the country. Although most students take the ACT junior year, many students begin studying months, maybe even a year ahead of the test.

Koko Kasper, sophomore, got her first ACT book in eigth grade, given to her from her cousin on Christmas, and occasionally looks into it and does practice tests, so when the test comes she will be ready. “I wanted to start studying early because I knew that it will be very hard and I want to make sure that by the time it comes I will know what’s coming for me,” Kasper said.

Many students also start doing ACT prep classes in the months leading up to the test, including the class through the local recreation department in late November of 2015. Alyssa Bonfiglio, sophomore, took the prep class and decided to take the class so she would be ready once the time came. “The class helped a lot with learning strategies and techniques, and we took a lot of timed tests, which helped me get a feel of what it will be like when I’m under the pressure of the real thing,” Bonfiglio said.

“I think planning for the ACT is super important and being able to use your time wisely is something you will learn throughout the ACT. I didn’t study for the first one I took, but then I started going to Knowledge Edge and did tutoring there, which really helped,” Tori Cayle, junior, said.

Overall, Homestead High School’s average for the ACT was a 25.9 for the Class of ’15, the highest average score in the state of Wisconsin. The 25.9 average places students in approximately the 79th percentile nationally for all of the students who took the ACT.

“From my last ACT, I knew what I had to work on, so from there I hyper-focused on reading and I’m confident my score improved,” Chris Eckhardt, junior, said.,

Although ACT week is very stressful for most students, after it is done and all the hard work pays off, students will hopefully be very happy with the outcome.