Fifth Annual Pancake Breakfast will honor future college athletes

The athletes from the Class of ’15 pictured at last year’s Pancake Breakfast.

A morning of Highlander pride and pancakes will take place this Sunday, April 24 in the field house lobby. The Fifth Annual Pancake Breakfast, put on by the Booster Club, will celebrate, with the community, excellence on the playing fields at Homestead and recognize Highlander athletes in the Class of ‘16 who are going on to play college sports next year.

Along with enjoying a breakfast of pancakes and socializing with community members, attendees will be able to meet and offer congratulations to kids continuing their careers in college. The event will go from 8:30-11 a.m., and the student-athletes will be available the whole time to talk with people from the community.

This year, more than 17 students from the Class of ’16 committed to play for a college next year in their sport. There were 17 students who signed a National Letter of Intent on National Signing Day, Feb. 3, and a few more who were not present that day but still are committed to a school.

The event first started five years ago and, according to Brittany White, committee member, the goal is to have more than 400 people attend. The money that is raised from ticket sales and other donations or contributions goes towards all Homestead sports, not just those in season during the spring.

In years past, the event has proven successful, especially as last year’s involved engagement in the Highlander Strong Campaign. This call to action for the community to get involved in the campaign helped spread awareness, which led to more contributions going towards renovations like the installation of the turf field and the future athletic pavilion.

Tickets at the door are $5 for children under 7 and teachers, and $10 for everybody else. Join students, teachers and community members in the field house lobby anytime from 8:30 to 11 a.m. for all-you-can-eat pancakes and a celebration of the Highlander legacy.