Triggs sets the bar high at UW-Parkside

Submitted photo

Triggs executes a routine high jump during a meet this past fall. His season ended at sectionals after a fourth place finish.

How did Elijah Triggs, senior, end up here?

Triggs’ story is not the typical hard work- and dedication-laced story that one may hear from future student-athletes around the country.

Triggs started high jumping his sophomore year because “basketball season ended and [he] had nothing to do,” Triggs said.

Teachers, coaches and even the hall monitor urged and pleaded for Triggs to give track a try because they all saw his athletic abilities.

He finally caved when Tod, the hall monitor at the time, asked, “What else would you be doing? You have nothing to lose by just trying it out.”

So he did.

Triggs went from a kid who showed up to practice with baggy basketball shorts, high tops and no clue what event was the one for him, to a conference champion high jumper who has state level talent and will continue to develop at the college level, according to Coach Dan Benson, jumps coach.

In a typical hero’s journey, every man starts off as a normal being in society until their “call to action.”

Triggs’ call to action was in the form of Coach Benson recruiting athletes saying, “We need people to just try jumping.”

That was music to Triggs’ ears. His life revolved around basketball, and he enjoyed dunking so he thought a little extra vertical wouldn’t hurt him at all.

But as time grew on, he soon fell in love with the sport.

He quickly caught on, learned, improved his flaws and “gained a craving for jumping high with style.”

High jumping soon took over the focal point in Triggs’ life as he dropped Homestead basketball after his sophomore year.

“Elijah was an intense competitor who also displayed true sportsmanship. He was modest in victory and under control in defeat. His competitors, both athletes and other coaches, saw this and gravitated toward him at competitions. Elijah represented Homestead with dignity at all times. It was an honor to have coached him and I have no doubts that he will remain successful in life,” Coach Benson said.

Triggs spends time perfecting his form at practice.  Practice for a high jumper usually entails normal jumping over a cord or jumping with a spring board.
Emma Zander
Triggs spends time perfecting his form at practice. Practice for a high jumper usually entails normal jumping over a cord or jumping with a spring board.

Triggs will be heading over to University of Wisconsin-Park Side, where he will spend much of his time either in the weight room or on the track. Although college sports can be time-consuming, and can cause school work to suffer, Coach Benson believes Triggs will do just fine given the circumstances.

“Elijah did his best to juggle track responsibilities with school work, a job at Piggly Wiggly and responsibilities at home. He is well equipped to handle the many challenges that life will bring,” Coach Benson said.

Will Cranford, the lead assistant coach and jumps coach at UW-Parkside, will coach Triggs. Being a former track athlete in high school and in college, Coach Cranford knows that Triggs is just beginning on a soon to be prolific high jumping career.

“He is a great and humble young man. He adds needed depth and talent in our vertical jumps area. He had a great high school career but we think that he hasn’t even scratched the surface of his potential yet. He has a blue collar workman type mentality and we think that the type of attitude, humbleness and dedication to his craft is exactly what we need in our program. We’re looking for big things from him both in the classroom and on the track,” Coach Cranford said.

However, track is much more than just a sport for Triggs; it has provided him something else too.

It made college an option for him.

Track has opened that door for Triggs because of his competitive drive to be the best and because of his refusal to be denied at the doorstep.

Triggs and a number of other Homestead track participants pose after the Hamilton sectional last year.  Triggs would place seventh at the event.
Submitted photo
Triggs and a number of other Homestead track participants pose after the Hamilton sectional last year. Triggs placed seventh in the high jump at the event.