Star alumnus becomes coach

Gaby Geiger

Coach Bosley and Coach Claussen watch the long distance runners in a meet at Germantown High School.

Not often do students make a full circle and come back to the place where they once studied, but Mr. Andy Bosley has. Once a star cross country and track runner at Homestead, Bosley has now come back to coach the long distance runners on the boys track team, taking the place of his former coach, Mr. Dan Claussen.

Earlier this year, long time coach, Dan Claussen, resigned from his position as the boys track long distance coach, and he recommended his prodigy from the 90’s for the job. The two first met back in 1987 when Coach Claussen started teaching at Lakeshore Middle School, where Bosley was a student and an athlete. In high school, Claussen became his coach in both cross country and track and together they had much success.

Coach Bosley went on to qualify for the state meet all four years in both cross country and track and even qualified for the state meet in swimming his junior and senior years. In addition to qualifying, he won state titles in the 3200 meter run his last two years and also took the title in the 1600 meter run his senior year. All his hard work was further awarded when he was named the Midwest Gatorade Track and Field Athlete of the Year in 1991, his senior year.

During his time at Homestead, they did not have access to the performances of athletes from around the nation, but there was a magazine that came out every month that had the best times from around the country and Coach Bosley was fortunate enough to be able to see how he matched up against the nation.

“It (Gatorade Athlete of the Year) was a really neat award to receive and one that I’m very proud of,” Coach Bosley said. His accomplishments were further recognized when he was the first person to be inducted into Homestead’s Hall of Fame. He went on to run at the University of Wisconsin where he was recognized as an NCAA Division 1 All American in 1996 and 1997.

Now, 24 years later, Bosley has returned to Homestead to coach. “I recommended Coach Bosley (for the coaching position) because of his devotion to the sport and his ability to be an excellent role model,” Coach Claussen said. Coming back to Homestead was always something that Bosley wanted to do, and soon enough his own kids will be coming through Homestead and he ensures that they will be taking part in the cross country and track programs.

With many strong athletes on the long distance crew, like Evan Routhier, junior, and Thomas Miller, sophomore, Coach Bosley’s first season looks to be promising. “He pushes kids to do do their best on the track but makes sure they’re having fun. All the kids are enthusiastic about running with him as a coach,” Routhier said. Along with coaching on the track team, he will be joining Coach Claussen in the fall to coach the cross country team.

“He understands the sport better than most people and he really fits in well with the team. We are all really excited for cross country season for both him and Coach Claussen to coach us,” Thomas Blaubach, junior, said.

“Coaching can be very challenging but also very rewarding: you get to know the kids you coach really well, you spend a ton of time with them– way more than you would in a normal classroom. And it’s an activity that they really love to do, so they’re excited about it. It’s really fun,” Bosley said.

With all the accomplishments Coach Bosley had in his high school career, he is only looking to accomplish more in the sport as a coach. “He is a friend and a coaching peer, but I am most proud of his accomplishments as a father and husband,” Coach Claussen said.